The grade 3 staff who work in schools across West Dunbartonshire took to the picket lines at various locations this morning (May 20) before rallying outside the council’s headquarters.
UNISON, one of Scotland’s largest unions, had warned the local authority of the strike action prompting them to close the schools to protect pupils safety.
We have previously reported how staff say they feel ‘undervalued’ amid an ongoing dispute over job grading.
(Image: NQ)
The staff provide personal care to children with disabilities, behavioural challenges and complex medical needs, but their expertise is not reflected in their pay, the union says.
Lilian Macer, regional secretary for UNISON Scotland (Image: NQ)
Speaking at the rally, Lilian Macer, regional secretary for UNISON Scotland, said: “The valuable work that you do, the important work that you do needs to be properly evaluated.
“Stop ignoring us [West Dunbartonshire Council], value our work, listen to your workforce, listen to the members that are in schools fighting and supporting and making sure our young people in Dunbartonshire get the proper support, education and learning that they deserve.
“You didn’t take this lightly, closing those 28 schools, you didn’t say I’m withdrawing my labour at a whim. This has been years in the making and years of the local authority not listening.
“You’re sending a clear message to the local authority that you will not stand by as predominantly women workers and be undervalued, undermined and shown a lack of respect.”
Picket lines took place at St Peter The Apostle High School, St Eunan’s Primary/Nursery, Gavinburn Primary School and St Stephen’s Primary School.
After this learning assistants congregated at the council’s Church Street offices were they held signs that read “equal value,” “equal respect”, equal pay.”
Mick Dolan, West Dunbartonshire secretary for EIS (Image: NQ)
Members of several campaigners and trade unions addressed the crowd where they warned that more strikes could take place if no action to resolve the dispute is taken.
Mick Dolan, West Dunbartonshire secretary for EIS, said: “The amount of abuse that you suffer on a daily basis is absolutely astonishing, off the scale and needs to be fully recognised.
“Over a year ago, I brought to the convener’s group with the management and the council that there needs to be a proper regrading and recognition of what it is that you guys are doing on a daily basis and that’s an absolute failure to do that.
“If you’re not doing something on an absolutely frequent basis, they refuse to recognise it and we will need to hammer home that you are a crucial part of the whole system, both in a local message and a national message.
“The Scottish Government have been pushing the inclusion agenda for years now and you are a crucial part of that inclusion agenda. Teachers in schools cannot survive without the support that you give daily and we recognise that you are that crucial part.”
West Dunbartonshire Council previously said they had been in conversation with the union and are “disappointed” by the decision to strike.
A spokesperson for WDC had said: “We value the vital work learning assistants undertake within our classrooms and are disappointed they are taking industrial action.
“We remain committed to minimising disruption where possible and are continuing to liaise with our union colleagues.
“Like other authorities, we are bound by the Scottish Joint Council Job Evaluation Scheme which is agreed by UNISON, Unite and GMB and have an agreed local policy which includes evaluations undertaken jointly with union analysts. This ensures consistency and equal pay for work of equal value.
“We will continue to support this group of employees in any subsequent job-Evaluation resubmissions.”
They were approached for comment on today’s strike.




