They said the council told them it is not policy to inform families if a grave has been damaged.
A Belfast family was left upset and distressed after a loved ones grave was damaged at Roselawn Cemetery during the opening of another.
On Saturday, the son of the late Irene and Robert Cowan visited his parents’ grave at the cemetery only to find that it had been damaged and left in a state of disrepair when a grave next to it was being opened.
The family say they received no contact from Belfast City Council to tell them what had happened to the grave which was damaged on the Monday prior.
The Cowan family said that they attend the grave every week and the damage to it has caused them a lot of upset and distress. They said the council told them it is not policy to inform families if a grave has been damaged.
Alongside Irene and Robert Cowan, the grave also has the remains of baby Abigail Evangeline Magill who was born sleeping in 2010.
The granddaughter of the couple, said to Belfast Live: “In my family’s eyes this is an act of criminal damage and it has caused so much distress. This is the final resting place of our loved ones and it feels like they have showed very little respect to their grave and to us as a family.
“This grave is attended weekly, very well kept and like many families our grief and loss is still very raw. We tend that plot with pride and passion for our loved ones and through our actions continue to show them the same dignity in passing as they would have been afforded in life. Belfast City Council certainly did not afford them the same courtesy.
“While we appreciate that the damage was caused while opening the grave beside ours, the level of destruction suggests that very little care or attention was taken.”
She continued: “My father went to the maintenance office on Saturday morning to report his findings, and he was given very little reassurance or explanation. The BCC member of staff informed my Dad that the ground on that section of the cemetery was bad ground and these things happen.
“He went on to suggest to my Dad that perhaps he should remove the detached marble before it was further damaged or stolen. This offered very little comfort or reassurance and added insult to an already distressing situation.”
The council has since apoligised to the family for the damage that has been caused and reportedly told them the grave will be repaired in the coming weeks. However, they hope that by raising awareness of the issue it can help change council policy so that families are informed of any damage to their loved ones graves.
A Belfast City Council spokesperson said: “We are aware of the damage caused to a grave at Roselawn Cemetery and we understand this is a difficult and sensitive issue.
“We are currently assessing the situation and officers from Bereavement Services will engage with the family directly.”
For all the latest news, visit the Belfast Live homepage here and sign up to our daily newsletter here.



